If you did not receive your ASM ID, or if you forget it , please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be able to look it up for you.
Below is a sampling of what's going on at ASM now!
About the book
Table of contents
New Archive Feature
Chronicles of the Society of American Bacteriologists
The American Society for Microbiology was founded in 1899 as the Society of American Bacteriologists (SAB). To commemorated the SAB's 50th meeting a brief history of the Society, including a photograph of each of the Society's presidents, was prepared. Click here to flip through the pages of the Chronicles.
Take advantage of the value of ASM MembershipASM Member journal subscriptions are heavily discounted to provide you with affordable access to high-impact basic and clinical microbiology research. A subscription to the All-12 package provides access to content covering the full spectrum of basic and clinical microbiology research. ASM journals, which are edited by working scientists, have delivered excellence and value for over 90 years. The following data reflect the value and prestige of ASM journals:
- All postings should be signed with the subscriber's name and E-Mail address. If the posting is an announcement, include contact information such as phone, fax, and E-Mail addresses.
- Subscribers should be willing to make their names known. Subscribers will not be allowed to conceal their names from being seen on the list, and may not post anonymous messages.
- Postings to the group should contain questions, comments, or information that is relevant to the group topic and of interest to the entire group. If you want to question the opinions and information presented by others, please do not challenge or attack these people by "flaming." If you have a differing opinion, please support your opinion or comments and use them to express yourself in a professional manner. Subscribers learn and benefit from qualified responses to situations and questions.
- Keep the tone of your messages polite. Nothing is served by rudeness.
- Keep message contents limited to professional topics. Many people pay for their E-mail services on a per message basis. Filling their mailboxes with electronic "junk mail" is not considered polite.
- Avoid shouting (writing messages in all upper-case letters is considered shouting on the internet).
- Do not use this list for advertising. Discussion lists are not the place for this activity. It is, however, perfectly reasonable to post a message to the list inquiring about sources for materials or services you require.
Listserv Account Subscription and Management
To subscribe to the listserv:
- Go to archive.asm.org;
- Click on Sign Up for Email Alerts and Listservs in the left column;
- Provide an email account that you want your messages to go to; and
- Select the appropriate listserv to establish your request to join the list. Your request will be automatically forwarded to a list manager for approval.
To manage your account from the ASM website:
- Go to archive.asm.org;
- Click on Sign up for Email Alerts and Listservs in the left column;
- Provide your email to activate your account information;
- Click on Preferences to update your email address or to change how your messages are sent to you (Note: the default is full messages as received);
- Click on Message Archives to enter the Archive site;
that you may either "View" the archives or "Search"
the archives and you will now be at http://mail.asmusa.org/read/login
- If you wish to terminate your account, check the "leave" box for the appropriate list. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Go to http://mail.asmusa.org/read/login and enter the name of your listserv preceded by a "?" (ie: ?divc)
- Enter your email address and established password (if you have one);
- Select MY ACCOUNT from the menu on the left;
- From the dropdown called "Membership Type" you may adjust how your emails are delivered to your email account;
- If you are planning to travel and wish to SUSPEND emails, select "no email" from the options.
- NOTE: This does not cancel your account. It only stops delivery of your emails while you are gone. To re-establish email delivery, simply reset the option to the one you want.
To email the list, address the email with email@example.com
Goals A. Preserve and expand the current archival collections.B. Provide access to the collections to scholars, the public, and the media. C. Clarify the collections policy for the Archives as a center for the history of microbiology.D. Use the material in the Archives to publicize the History of Microbiology.E. Provide service to the Society leadership, committees, and staff to ensure that knowledge of microbiological history benefits our present and future. F. Document the history, protocols and practices of microbiology.G. Increase awareness of the collection through education and outreach to the public. H. Serve the Society’s membership and the science of microbiology through increasing awareness of microbiological history and its impact on society.I. Organize an annual symposium, history of microbiology lecture, and exhibit for the General Meeting.
GoalsA. Maintain communication and promote cooperation with other ASM Boards and committees to increase effectiveness of all Society programs. B. Provide other Boards with updates on membership promotion and retention activity to increase communication opportunities.C. Encourage ex officio membership on Membership Board Committees that share common goals with other Boards and their committees.
GoalsA. Provide and promote use of all avenues for underrepresented members to become fully involved at all levels in ASM. B. Work with the Membership Board committees and other ASM Boards to promote the value of diversity in the Society.C. Promote the accomplishments of underrepresented scientists to students, postdoctoral fellows and early career minority scientists through media and the worldwide Web. D. Provide microbiology career mentoring to minorities at all levels.