Application Deadline: October 30, 2016
The American Society for Microbiology Distinguished Lecturer (ASMDL) Program (formerly the Waksman Foundation for Microbiology Lectures Program) annually selects a scientifically diverse group of outstanding lecturers who are available to speak at local ASM Branch meetings. The ASMDL Committee will begin preparing the speaker list for the 2017-2018 program year in November 2016.
The Committee welcomes recommendations from the ASM Membership.
Lecturer Duties and Travel Reimbursement:
- Lecturers speak at ASM Branch meetings and events (at invitation of individual Branches)
- Lecturers serve 2-year terms (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019)
- Lecturers’ travel expenses for ASMDL Lectures at Branch meetings are covered by the ASMDL program
- The ASMDL program does NOT provide honoraria for Lecturers
- Lecturers can give as many (or as few) lectures as their schedule allows during their term; there are no maximum or minimum number of lectures required
The Committee is seeking Lecturers who have
- Excellent scientific credentials
- Proven outstanding speaking ability
- Interest in interacting with students and postdocs at Branch meetings
- Interest in participating in Branch activities that promote career development
Lecturer Eligibility Requirements:
- Nominees must be ASM members.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Lecturers who have participated in the program over the previous 5 years are not eligible to serve again unless there is a specific need for a topic that justifies the selection of that individual. Click here for a list of past ASM Distinguished Lecturers.
- ASM also invites nominations for candidates from its international member community where international members are on sabbatical, or visiting the United States for at least one year.
To propose a candidate for this program, please submit the following (preferably by e-mail) to the Chair, American Society for Microbiology Distinguished Lecturer Committee:
- Letter of Nomination– The letter (written by nominator) should specifically address:
- candidate's scientific credentials
- candidate's abilities as a speaker
- candidate’s willingness to interact with students and postdocs during Branch meetings
- any other relevant information as to why the candidate would be a good match for the ASMDL program
- Candidate's CV
- ASMDL Nomination Form Listing the following -
- candidate’s contact information
- candidate’s suggested lecture topics and descriptions
- candidate’s short biographical sketch
- candidate’s personal statement– the statement (written by the candidate) should be 250 words or less and can address any/all of the following:
- why candidate wants to be a part of the ASMDL program
- what candidate will bring to the ASMDL program
- candidate’s commitment to students/postdocs
- candidate’s commitment to ASM and to microbiology
- candidate’s vision/philosophy/statement of purpose, etc.
- any other relevant information as to why candidate would be a good match for the ASMDL program
- Letter of Recommendation – Provide at least one short letter of recommendation from an individual (other than the nominator) willing to comment on the candidate's fitness for the program, including an assessment of speaking ability. The letter may be included with other nomination materials or can be sent directly by the person providing the recommendation.
- Optional – Additional References – Nominator may submit names and contact information of other individuals who would be willing to comment upon the candidate's fitness for the program, and ASMDL will contact them for recommendations.
****E-mail Submission of Nomination Materials is preferred****
Submit nominations to:
Deadline: October 30, 2016