Recognizing the importance of the public health emergency of the ebola outbreak in western Africa, the ASM has compiled a list of informational resources available from the Society and other sources on the disease. This list will be updated as new material becomes available.
September 23, 2014 - ASM Letter to the US HHS Concerning Scientific Resources in Response to the Ebola Virus Outbreak
The ASM sent a letter to Sylvia M. Burwell, Secretary US Department of Health & Human Services with recommendations concerning scientific resources that are needed in response to the Ebola virus outbreak.
September 23, 2014 - ASM Letter to the UN Concerning Scientific Resources in Response to the Ebola Virus Outbreak
The ASM sent a letter to David Nabarro, M.D., Senior United Nations System Coordinator for Ebola Virus Disease with recommendations concerning scientific resources that are needed in response to the Ebola virus outbreak.
ASM Journal Articles on Ebola
A compendium of every journal article published by the ASM on ebola. No subscription required.
ASM Statement on Ebola Response
The ASM sent a statement about the Ebola response on September 17, 2014 to ASM members and members of Congress.
Interim Laboratory Guidelines for Handling/Testing Specimens from Cases or Suspected Cases of Hemorrhagic Fever Virus
The Committee on Laboratory Practices of ASM's Public and Scientific Affairs Board (PSAB) has prepared a document to assist laboratory personnel with testing in accordance with the current CDC Ebola Interim Guidance.
On Monday, September 8, 2014, 3 speakers presented information about the current ebola outbreak in West Africa at the ASM’s annual infectious disease meeting, the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC).
- Ebola Outbreak Response in West Africa: A Diagnostic, Scientific, and More Importantly, Humanitarian Perspective
Gary Kobinger; Natl. Microbiol. Lab., Winnipeg, Canada
- Responding to the Ebola Outbreak in West Africa: Current Status and Lessons Learned
Barbara Knust, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA
- Managing Patients Infected with Ebola Virus in Developed Countries: Lessons Learned
Aneesh Mehta, Emory University School of Medicine
Watch the video of their press conference.
View their full scientific presentations:
Other Ebola Resources
General Outbreak Information:
- What's New
- CDC's Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Resources Page
- Questions and Answers on Ebola
- World Health Organization Disease Outbreak News
New Or Updated Guidance Documents:(Full range of guidance documents can be found on the CDC Ebola Web site http://www.cdc.gov/ebola)
- Interim Guidance Regarding Compliance with Select Agent Regulations for Laboratories Handling Patient Specimens (NEW)
- Ebola Guidance for Airlines
- To Fight Ebola, Create a Health Workforce Reserve Force (Op-Ed, Los Angeles Times)
- A United Nations Security Council Resolution is Essential to Preventing the Threat to International Peace and Security Posed by Ebola (The O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law)
- Ebola: Towards an International Health Systems Fund (The Lancet -- Subscription Required)
- CDC Press Briefing Transcript and Audio Recording: Update on Ebola outbreak in West Africa, Sept. 2, 2014
- Outbreak Response Photos
- Ebola Radio Health Messages in Local Languages
- Communication Resources
- Outbreak Map
- Digital Press Kit
- Infection Prevention and Control of Ebola Virus Disease in U.S. Hospitals
- CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden discusses Ebola outbreak
Garth Hogan, ASM Office of Communications