Why belong to an ASM Student Chapter?
Chapters provide opportunities to:
>Create networks with students, faculty, industry, and clinical laboratories
>Hone your presentation skills
>Develop leadership instincts
>Collaborate with peers and local Branches
>Give back to your community and support your science through K-12 engagement
>Seek mentors outside your academic institution
Chapters provide a friendly environment to expand your horizons and interact with peers. Many Chapters partner with local Branches to develop meeting programming and create presentation opportunities.
Affiliation with national ASM offers the Chapter benefits such as opportunities for financial support for Chapter activities, national recognition as a part of ASM and a network of sister chapters throughout the country.
Don’t have a chapter at your institution? Start one!
Student groups focused either at a single university or comprised of students from multiple institutions can obtain ASM Student Chapter status. Here are the necessary steps:
1. Draft a constitution for your group. A sample document is available here: http://www.asm.org/images/Membership/sampleconts.pdf
2. Seek initial sponsorship from your university. Universities have various requirements for forming on campus groups. Consult your student affairs department to make sure you are in compliance with your institution. If your club is comprised of multiple institutions you can seek sponsorship from a local ASM Branch in place of a university.
3. Select an advisor who is a member of national ASM.
4. Ask your local Branch for sponsorship. Contact the ASM Branch in your local area and request sponsorship to become an ASM-recognized Student Chapter (names and addresses of Branch officers in your area can be found by following the links to your local Branch on this page Branch Officers. Enclose a copy of your constitution for its review. If your Branch is unable to sponsor your Chapter, please send your request to Renee Hunter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she will follow up.
5. Your Chapter is provisionally approved! Once the Branch approves your Constitution your Chapter will be provisionally approved. It will be officially approved by ASM Council during the ASM General Meeting. To make sure that the proposal appears on the Council agenda, it should be submitted no later than four weeks before the date of the General Meeting.