Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women - Additional Information
Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women are given to support the career development of the candidate by providing funds to travel to a meeting, visit another laboratory, take a course in a geographically distant place, or for other travel to advance the candidate's career. The grants will be awarded to enhance the careers of postdoctoral women with outstanding scientific accomplishments and potential for significant research in the area of microbiology. The fields covered by the award are any of those represented by Divisions of the American Society for Microbiology. Currently, three grants are given annually.
To be eligible to apply for this program, a woman scientist must hold a doctoral degree and have no more than five years of relevant research experience since receipt of her most recent doctoral degree. Candidates must currently be performing postdoctoral work in microbiology, at an institution in the United States, in one of the aforementioned scientific areas. The candidate must be a member of ASM.
A cash award of $1,200 and a commemorative plaque will be presented. The cash award must be used within a year of its award.
Nominations for the grant require the following:
- Candidate must complete a Candidate Statement which will describe her academic accomplishments, career goals and how the grant will be used to aid her career. The length of the statement may not exceed 3 pages, single-spaced.
- The candidate’s CV may be any length and must be submitted with the Candidate Statement.
- A letter of support must be provided by a nominator, who should be the candidate’s research project director, Department Chair, or Center Director. The nominator must be a member of ASM and may only support one candidate for this award per year.
- A second Letter of Support from a scientist familiar with the candidate and her work must be submitted. The scientist drafting the Letter of Support does not have to be a member of ASM.
- Any candidate who wishes to use the award money to visit another scientist's laboratory must submit a letter from the laboratory indicating that the proposed visit is permissible.
All submissions must be dated no later than February 1st. The Selection Committee will announce the winners by mid April.
Additional Nomination Information
- Candidates may be re-nominated as long as the nominee continues to meet eligibility criteria; however, women who have previously won the award are not eligible for a second award. No person shall be a nominator for more than one candidate in any given year. Once submitted, nomination materials become the property of the Selection Committee and will not be returned. Winners will be decided by a Selection Committee appointed by the Membership Board Chair. Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women are administered by the ASM Membership Services Department.
- Please note: In general, requests for funds to attend the ASM General Meeting are not viewed favorably if the advisor has grants that would normally support attendance by people in his/her laboratory. Also, the career development activity should not be one for which the applicant's advisor is already funded.
Submit grant nomination materials (Candidate Statement, CV, Nomination letter, additional Letter of Support) by email to Anne Dempsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the address below. Copies are not required. All submissions must be dated no later than February 1st. The Selection Committee will announce the winners by mid April.
Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women
American Society for Microbiology
1752 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036-2804