Named in honor of ASM past president Dr. Gail Cassell and FEMS past president Dr. Helena Mäkelä, this award is offered jointly by ASM and the Federation of European Microbiology Societies (FEMS) to support the exchange of one member from each organization to present a poster of their research at the other society's main conference.
This prestigious award endeavors to recognize future leaders in microbiology by giving them the opportunity to present their work overseas and experience the best of microbiology.
- $5000 towards expenses associated with participation in the Biannual FEMS Congress
- High profile recognition during the FEMS Congress, ASM General Meeting, ASM and FEMS websites, and respective member publications
- An economy flight between the U.S. and Europe
- FEMS Congress registration
The successful applicant will be a
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Current member of the American Society for Microbiology
- Current PhD (or equivalent) student or recipient of a PhD within the past 5 years
Applications should be submitted via ASM's online application system: https://intlgrants.asm.org
The application should demonstrate:
- Academic excellence of the applicant - CV
- Quality and originality of proposed presentation - Abstract
- Depth of the applicant's research experience - Synopsis of Research
- The successful applicant will submit a poster abstract (250 word max) to FEMS following the notification of award. A copy of the abstract the applicant plans to submit must be included with the application.
- Payment of the award is conditional on the acceptance of the applicant's abstract to the FEMS Congress.
Next Submission Deadline: December 15, 2016
Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.