ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS NOW!
The Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA), housed at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), is pleased to announce two Travel Awards for research at the ASM Archives in the area of the history of microbiology.
Up to two cash grants of $1500 each per year will be awarded. Awardees may be invited to present their research at the ASM General Meeting and/or prepare an article for Microbe, the ASM membership magazine.
The grants are to support research of the awardees’ choosing, in areas that have relevant materials in the CHOMA collection. The CHOMA collection includes 9,000 volumes on microbiology and related topics, photographs of scientists and microbes, topical files on various aspects of microbiology, biographical materials, instructional materials (including slides and motion pictures), records of the Society (including journals and proceedings of meetings) from its founding in 1899 to the present, and several collections of personal papers. For additional information on the collection, go to the CHOMA home page at http://www.asm.org/choma or contact the ASM Archivist, Jeff Karr, at email@example.com.
Time Frame and Location of Research
The travel award is to be used for travel expenses to visit the ASM Archives, located at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, to conduct the above-mentioned research.
- All research must take within 12 months of the award.
- All awardees must provide a report to the Archivist on their research within six months of the research visit.
- Any article prepared for Microbe as a result of the research must be completed in a reasonable timeframe to be negotiated between the awardee, the ASM Archivist and the editors of Microbe.
Applicants for the History of Microbiology Research Travel Awards must submit the following via e-mail to the ASM Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- CV (any length)
- Detailed description of the proposed project (three pages maximum) clearly demonstrating its historical intent
- Short description of previous historical research undertaken by applicant (if applicable) and/or an indication of how/why the applicant became interested in the history of microbiology
- Tentative list of archive materials to be used based on the descriptions of CHOMA holdings found at the website
- Two letters of recommendation (which should be e-mailed directly by individuals providing the recommendations)
All applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted to the ASM Archivist, Jeff Karr, at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed once all materials (see above) are received.
All applications will be reviewed by a sub-committee of the Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA) Committee. Apoplications will be considered on a rolling basis throughout the year. Decisions on individual applications will be announced with 4-6 weeks of receipt of ALL application materials (see above). Decisions of the selection committee are final.
- Awards will be announced with 4-6 weeks of receipt of a completed application.
- All candidates will receive an e-mail notification of the status of their applications after the selection committee makes its decisions.
Acknowledgment of Funding
In manuscripts and presentations, please acknowledge funding from the Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA), as appropriate.
For additional information on the award and award guidelines, contact Jeff Karr at firstname.lastname@example.org