You'll need a solid foundation in reading, writing, math, computer science and communication. Add to that biology, chemistry and physics, and you're on your way to becoming a microbiologist!
- High School Courses Include:
- Foreign Language
- Undergraduate Courses Include:
- Biological or Life Science
- Cell Biology
- Environmental Microbiology
- General Microbiology
- Microbial Genetics
- Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Pathogenic and Applied Microbiology
Review the ASM's recommendations for both undergraduate microbiology classes and programs for microbiology majors.
Additional preparation could include participating in extracurricular science clubs, joining local and national scientific professional societies, like ASM, and participating in activities that develop hand-eye coordination, communication and team-building skills.