The Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA), housed at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), announces two History of Microbiology Travel Awards of $1500 each for research at the ASM Archives in the area of the history of microbiology. Awardees may be invited to present their research at the ASM Annual Meeting and/or prepare an article for Microbe, the ASM membership magazine.
The grants support research of the awardees' choosing, in areas that can be supported by materials in the CHOMA collections. The CHOMA collections include 9,000 volumes on microbiology and related topics; photographs of scientists and microbes; topical files on various aspects of microbiology; biographical materials; instructional materials, including slides and motion pictures; records of the Society from its founding in 1899 to the present, including journals and proceedings of meetings; and several collections of personal papers. Specific information on the collection can be found at the website, http://www.asm.org/index.php/choma or by contacting the ASM Archivist at email@example.com
Applicants must submit the following via e-mail to the ASM Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- CV (any length)
- Detailed description of the proposed project (three pages maximum) clearly demonstrating its historical intent
- Short description of previous historical research undertaken by applicant (if applicable) and/or an indication of how/why applicant became interested in the history of microbiology
- Tentative list of archive materials to be used based on the descriptions of CHOMA holdings found at the website
- Two letters of recommendation (which should be e-mailed directly by individuals providing the recommendations)
- All research supported by the award must take place before September 1, 2013.
- Awardees will supply the ASM Archivist with a short report of research conducted as a result of the award.
- Any article prepared for Microbe as a result of the research must be completed by May 1, 2014.
All applications must be submitted no later than November 15, 2012.
If you have questions or need additional information, contact the ASM Archivist.