- November 5, 2008 – Science and Public Health Recommendations for the New Administration from the American Society for Microbiology
The ASM has drafted recommendations for the Administration’s transition team on key issues regarding science, research and public health.
- July 31, 2008 - ASM Sends Comments to CMS on 2008 Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule
On July 31, 2008, the ASM sent comments to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding CMS Publication 100-04 (Change Request 5813), “2008 Annual Update for Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule and Laboratory Services Subject to Reasonable Charge Payment."
- July 22, 2008 - ASM Sends Letter to Senate Appropriations Committee Supporting an Additional $500 Million for NIH
The ASM sent a letter to members of the Senate Appropriations Committee supporting the request by Senator Tom Harkin (IA) and Senator Arlen Specter (PA) to add $500 million for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the second Emergency Supplemental bill for FY 2008.
- July 14, 2008 - Payment Determinations for Calendar Year 2009 for New Clinical Laboratory Tests
On July 14, the ASM presented recommendations to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at its annual Laboratory Public Meeting regarding payment levels for new tests to be included in the 2009 Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule.
- June 26, 2008 - ASM Comments on “Laboratory Medicine: A National Status Report”
The PSAB Committees on Professional Affairs and Laboratory Practices sent comments to the Battelle Memorial Institute regarding its draft report “Laboratory Medicine: A National Status Report” prepared for the Division of Laboratory Systems, National Center for Preparedness, Detection, and Control of Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- June 13, 2008 - ASM Submits Comments to CMS on Proposed Rule on Hospital Acquired Infections
The ASM submitted comments to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding its proposed rule, "Medicare Program; Proposed Changes to the Hospital Inpatient Prospective Payment Systems and Fiscal Year 2009 Rates" which was published in the Federal Register on April 30, 2008. ASM focused its comments on the section in the proposed rule regarding hospital acquired infections.
- May 26, 2008 - ASM Submits Comments to the EPA on the Proposed Microbial Contaminants Listed in the Draft CCL 3 Document
The Public and Scientific Affairs Board Committee on Environmental Microbiology responded to a request for comments from the EPA regarding the Drinking Water Contaminant Candidate List 3.
- May 16, 2008 - ASM Sends Letter to Senator Harkin Supporting NIH and NSF Funding
The ASM sent a letter to Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) supporting his efforts to include $400 million in funding for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the Fiscal Year 2008 supplemental appropriations bill.
- February 4, 2008 - ASM Concerned by Stagnant FY 2009 Budget Request for NIH
The ASM released a statement regarding the flat funding for the National Institutes of Health in the President's FY 2009 Budget.
- February 1, 2008 - ASM Comments on the FDA Science Board Report
The ASM sent comments to the FDA regarding the Science Board Report to evaluate FDA's science based capacities to meet current and future public health challenges.
- January 23, 2008 – ASM Sends Letter on Farm Bill
The ASM sent a letter to the House and Senate Agriculture Committees regarding the 2007 Farm Bill research title (H.R. 2419) as they work towards a final version.