- December 2, 1999 - Proposed Federal Policy on Research Misconduct To Protect the Integrity of the Research Record
The ASM submitted written comments to the Office of Science and Technology Policy regarding the proposed federal policy on research misconduct.
- November 30, 1999 - Food Derived from Plants Using Bioengineering
Dr. Anne K. Vidaver, Chair of the Committee on Agricultural and Food Microbiology of the Public and Scientific Affairs Board presented a statement on the safety of bioengineered foods.
- November 5, 1999 - National Institutes of Health FY 2000 Funding
The ASM sent letters to Senator Arlen Specter and Representative John Edward Porter supporting the adoption of the $17.9 billion budget proposed for the NIH.
- November 5, 1999 - Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention FY 2000 Funding
The ASM sent letters to Senator Arlen Specter and Representative John Edward Porter expressing concern about the$16 million reduction of CDC funding for FY 2000.
- October 15, 1999 - NIH Draft Report on Scientific Boundaries
The ASM submitted comments to the Center for Scientific Review of the National Institutes of Health on its Phase 1 draft report.
- September 22, 1999 - FDA Guidance Document on Labeling for Laboratory Tests
The ASM submitted comments on the Food and Drug Administration's draft guidance document on labeling for laboratory tests. This guidance proposes that labeling reflect a dichotomy based on the types of study done when a device is being characterized for marketing. FDA's motivation for this guidance is their concern that the terms "relative" or "comparative" sensitivity and specificty are misleading and imply diagnostic performance that is different from that supported by many premarket studies.
- August 30, 1999 - Revised Proposed Rulemaking on Access to Research Data
The ASM sent comments to the Office of Management and Budget regarding the Revised Proposed Rulemaking on Access to Research Data under the Freedom of Information Act.
- July 2, 1999 - Risk Assessment of the Public Health Impact of Foodborne Listeria Monocytogenes
The ASM responded to a Federal Register notice regarding the planned risk assessment of the public health impact of foodborne listeria monocytogenes.
- May 27, 1999 - Animal Welfare Act
The ASM responded to a request for comments on a petition which would require the USDA to amend the definition of "animal" under the Animal Welfare Act regulations to include rats and mice bred for research and birds.
- May 17, 1999 - Irradiation in the Production, Processing and Handling of Food
The ASM responded to FDA's advance notice of proposed rulemaking to revise the labeling requirements for irradiated foods.
- April 26, 1999 - Irradiation of Meat and Meat Products
The ASM responded to the USDA Food Safety Inspection Service request for comments on the proposed rule for meat irradiation.
- April 8, 1999 - Antimicrobial New Animal Drugs Intended for Use in Food-Producing Animals
The ASM submitted comments on the FDA "Proposed Framework for Evaluating and Assuring the Human Safety of the Microbial Effects of Antimicrobial New Animal Drugs Intended for Use in Food-Producing Animals."
- March 17, 1999 - ASM Response to OMB Circular A-110
The ASM sent a letter to Mr. F. James Charney of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) in response to OMB Circular A-110 "Uniform Administration Requirements for Grants and Documents with Institutions of Higher Education, Hospitals and Other Nonprofit Organizations."