- December 15, 2006 - ASM Responds to EPA Request for Nominations of Drinking Water Contaminants
On December 15, the ASM submitted nominations for two candidates (Naegleria fowleri and Mimivirus) in response to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notice requesting nominations of chemical and microbial contaminants for possible inclusion in the third drinking water Contaminant Candidate List (CCL 3).
- December 11, 2006 - ASM Lauds NIH Reform Act Passage
The ASM released a statement commending Congress for the passage of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Reform Act of 2006, HR 6164.
- October 10, 2006 - ASM Submits Comments on CMS Proposed Revisions to the Physician Fee Schedule for Calendar Year 2007
The ASM sent comments to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding its proposed revisions to the Physician Fee Schedule, which included a section codifying the process by which CMS sets payment methodology for new laboratory tests covered under the Medicare Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule.
- September 26, 2006 - ASM Submits Comments on CMS Proposed Payment Determinations for New Tests for 2007 Medicare Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule
The September 26, 2006, the ASM sent comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) regarding its proposed payment determinations for new tests to be included in the 2007 Medicare Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule.
- September 19, 2006 - ASM Sends Letter to Congressman Barton on NIH Reauthorization
The ASM sent a letter to Congressman Joe Barton on the NIH Reauthorization legislation supporting the proposed increases in NIH funding
- September 15, 2006 - The Science of Prevention Testimony
ASM presented testimony before the Subcommittee on the Prevention of Nuclear and Biological Attack, Committee on Homeland Security, U.S. House of Representatives at a hearing titled The Science of Prevention.
- August 29, 2006 – ASM Submits Comments to EPA on Revised National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Rule
The American Society for Microbiology (ASM) submitted comments in response to the EPA notice of a proposal to revise the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permitting requirements and Effluent Limitations Guidelines and Standards for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) in response to the order issued by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Waterkeeper Alliance et al. v. EPA, 399 F.3d 486 (2nd Cir. 2005).
- August 15, 2006 - ASM Comments on USP Proposed Revisions to Chapter
The ASM submitted comments to the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) regarding proposed revisions to USP General Chapter Pharmaceutical Compounding Sterile Preparations. USP sets practice standards to help ensure that compounded sterile preparations are of high quality and help to prevent harm to patients suffered as a result of contaminated preparations.
- August 1, 2006 - ASM Comments on 2006 Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule
On August 1, ASM submitted comments to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) in response to Publication 100-04, Change Request 4144 "2006 Annual Update for Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule and Laboratory Services Subject to Reasonable Charge Payment."
- July 17, 2006 – Payment Determinations for Calendar Year 2007 for New Clinical Laboratory Tests
The ASM presented comments to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) at its public meeting regarding payment methodology for new laboratory tests which will be included in the 2007 Medicare Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule.
- July 17, 2006 - ASM Comments on NSF Strategic Plan
ASM submitted comments expressing its concern with the omission of life sciences in the National Science Foundation’s draft FY 2006-2011 Strategic Plan.
- June 19, 2006 - ASM Joins Effort to Express Concern over MUE Proposal
The ASM sent a letter to Medicare Contractor, Correct Coding Solutions to comment on the impact the "medically unbelievable edits" (MUE) proposal would have on laboratory testing and patient care. The ASM also signed onto two coalition letters that were sent to Mark McClellan, MD, PhD, Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to express concern over MUE's, intended to prevent overpayments resulting from obviously erroneous Medicare claims submissions.
- June 8, 2006 - ASM Comments on the Federal Research Public Access Act of 2006
The ASM sent a letter to Senators John Cornyn (R-TX) and Joseph Lieberman (D-CT) with comments on the Federal Research Public Access Act of 2006 (S. 2695).
- May 30, 2006 - ASM Comments on Department of Commerce Deemed Export Advisory Committee
The ASM sent comments to the Bureau of Industry and Security of the Department of Commerce on the creation of the Deemed Export Advisory Committee (DEAC).
- May 17, 2006 – ASM Sends Letter to Congress on Amendment to the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act of 2006
ASM sent a letter to members of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation expressing concern with an amendment to S. 2802, the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act of 2006, that omits life sciences research.
- May 17, 2006 – ASM Submits Comments on FSIS Salmonella Verification Reporting
The ASM responded to the Food Safety and Inspection Service’s (FSIS) request for comments on whether and how the FSIS policy on Salmonella verification sample result reporting for meat and poultry establishments can be improved to enhance public health protection.
- March 31, 2006 – ASM Submits Comments on Updating NIH’s Laboratory Animal Guide
ASM submitted regarding the identification of new scientific information that might warrant the NIH issuing a contract for a new or updated edition of the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- March 29, 2006 – ASM Sends Letter to Congress Regarding FY 2007 Funding of Astrobiology Programs
The ASM sent a letter to the House and Senate Science Committees and Appropriations Subcommittees on Science urging them to restore funding for the NASA Astrobiology programs in FY 2007.
- March 29, 2006 - ASM Sends Letter to the WHO Concerning Genomic Data
The ASM sent a letter to the WHO commenting on the posting of gene sequences of Avian Influenza Virus
- March 28, 2006 - ASM Sends Letter to the House Budget Committee Regarding FY 2007 Funding
The ASM sent a letter to the House Budget Committee urging them to support an amendment to the House Budget Resolution to add $7 billion for health, education and human service programs.
- March 20, 2006 - ASM Sends Thank You Letters to Senators Specter and Harkin
The ASM sent letters to Senator Arlen Specter and Senator Tom Harkin, chair and ranking minority member of the Senate Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies thanking them for sponsoring an amendment to increase funding for health and education in the FY 2007 Senate Budget Resolution. The Resolution passed on March 16.
- February 28, 2006 - ASM Comments on FY 2007 Budget Request for Microbial Observatories Program at NSF
ASM sent a letter to Dr. James Collins, Assistant Director of the Biological Sciences Directorate at the National Science Foundation (NSF), expressing its concern with the FY 2007 requested funding level for the Microbial Observatories and Microbial Interactions Process (MO/MIP) activity supported by NSF.
- January 23, 2005 - ASM Comments to the EPA on the Draft Policy for National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
The ASM submitted comments in response to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notice on the draft policy for National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit requirements for peak wet weather discharges from publicly owned treatment works treatment plants serving separate sanitary sewer collection systems.
- January 13, 2006 - PSAB Submits Comments on CDC Draft Health Protection Research Guide
On January 13, the the Public and Scientific Affairs Board (PSAB) submitted comments to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention regarding its Draft Health Protection Research Guide, which was announced in the Federal Register on November 18, 2005.