- November 28, 2001 - Letter Supporting Passage of the Bioterrorism Preparedness Act of 2001
On November 28, 2001 the ASM sent a letter to Senator William Frist endorsing supporting passage of S. 1715 the Bioterrorism Preparedness Act of 2001.
- November 6, 2001 - Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Technology, Terrorism and Government Information
On November 6, 2001, Ronald M. Atlas, President-Elect of the American Society for Microbiology and Co-chair of the Task Force on Biological Weapons Control testified before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Technology, Terrorism and Government Information.
- October 9, 2001 - Biological Weapons Control Testimony: Recommendations for Federal Funding of Public Health Activities
On October 9, 2001, Dr. Michael Osterholm, Director of Center for Disease Research and Policy, University of Minnesota, and Chair of the PSAB Committee on Public Health, testified before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, for a hearing on Effective Resposnes to the Threat of Bioterrorism. His testimony described the budget recommendations of a Working Group on Bioterrorism Preparedness, including the American Society for Microbiology, for public and private laboratories, hospitals, and federal, state and local public health agencies to effectively recognize and respond to the threat of bioterrorism.
- September 17, 2001 - CDC Funding for FY 2002
The ASM sent a letter to the Chair and Ranking Minority members of the House and Senate Labor, Health and Human Services and Education Appropriations Subcommittees, urging funding for infectious disease programs and activities of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in FY 2002.
- September 4, 2001 - ASM Comments on Total Coliform Rule
The ASM's Committee on Environmental Microbiology submitted comments to the Environmental Protection Agency in response to the agency revising of the Total Coliform Rule.
- August 15, 2001 - ASM Statement on New Clinical Laboratory Tests, Payment Determinations for Calendar Year 2002
Vickie Baselski, member of the PSAB Committee on Professional Affairs, presented ASM comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services at a public meeting organized to discuss payment determinations for new clinical laboratory tests for calendar year 2002.
- August 14, 2001 - ASM Comments on OMB Proposed Data Quality Guidelines
The ASM submitted comments to the Office of Management and Budget in response to "Proposed Guidelines for Ensuring and Maximizing the Quality, Objectivity, Utility, and Integrity of Information Disseminated by Federal Agencies" which were published in the June 28, 2001 Federal Register.
- August 2, 2001 - Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule and Laboratory Costs
The ASM submitted comments to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly the Health Care Financing Administration) regarding Transmittal AB-00-109, 2001 Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule and Laboratory Costs Subject to Reasonable Charge Payment Methodology.
- July 30, 2001 - Comments on the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) regarding Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations
The ASM submitted comments on the Environmental Protection Agency's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit regulation and effluent limitations guidelines and standards for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) rule published January 12, 2001, in the Federal Register.
- July 30, 2001 - In Vitro Diagnostic Devices Pertaining to Hepatitis C Viruses (HCV)
The ASM provided comments to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on its Draft Guidance Document for Industry and FDA on Premarket Approval Applications for In Vitro Diagnostic Devices Pertaining to Hepatitis C Viruses (HCV): Assays Intended for Diagnosis, Prognosis, or Monitoring of HCV Infection, Hepatitis C, or Other HCV-associated Disease.
- July 13, 2001 - Risk Management Action Plan for Foodborne Listeria Monocytogenes
The ASM submitted comments on the Food and Drug Administration's and U.S. Department of Agriculture's draft Risk Assessment Document and Risk Management Action Plan for relative risk to public health from foodborne Listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat foods, which was published in the January 19, 2001 Federal Register.
- June 28, 2001 - Funding to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance
The ASM sent a letter to Representative Sherrod Brown (D-OH) in support of his bill, "The Antimicrobial Resistance Prevention Act of 2001" which would provide funding for the coordinated efforts of federal agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health, the Food and Drug Administration, the Department of Agriculture and others, to combat antimicrobial resistance.
- June 22, 2001 - FY 2002 Funding for the U.S. Geological Survey
The ASM sent letters to members of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on the Interior urging higher levels of funding for the U.S. Geological Survey's Fiscal Year 2002 budget.
- June 14, 2001 - FDA Blood Products Advisory Committee: Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) Criteria for In Vitro Diagnostic Tests: Applicability of Waivers to HIV Rapid Tests
Ronald J. Zabransky, member of PSAB's Laboratory Practices Committee, delivered ASM comments to the Food and Drug Administration's Blood Products Advisory Committee regarding the issue of waiving HIV rapid tests from certain requirements of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA).
- June 12, 2001 - Strengthening Science at the EPA Bill
The ASM sent a letter to Congressman Vernon Ehlers (R-MI) on June 12 endorsing legislation introduced on May 17 to address the insufficient role science plays in regulatory decisions at the EPA. The "Strengthening Science at the Environmental Protection Agency Act" H.R. 64 implements the two primary recommendations of a National Research Council (NRC) report on the use and practice of science within the EPA.
- May 30, 2001 - FDA Draft Guidance Document Regarding Lab Tests
The ASM submitted comments to the FDA on its draft Guidance Document regarding the criteria used to determine whether specific laboratory tests are waived from certain requirements of the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA). The FDA draft Guidance Document was published in the Federal Register on March 1.
- May 1, 2001 - National Institutes of Health Plan for Trainees
The ASM's Public and Scientific Affairs Board sent comments to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) supporting its plans to implement certain recommendations of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) report "Addressing the Nation's Needs for Biomedical and Behavioral Scientists."
- April 18, 2001 - Department of Transportation Proposed Rulemaking on Infectious Substances and Genetically Modified Microorganisms
The ASM submitted comments to the Department of Transportation, Research and Special Programs Administration on a notice of proposed rulemaking "Hazardous Materials: Revision to Standards for Infectious Substances and Genetically Modified Microorganism."
- March 13, 2001 - Draft Guidance for Industry: Voluntary Labeling Indicating Whether Foods Have or Have Not Been Developed Using Bioengineering
The ASM submitted comments to the Food and Drug Administration's Guidance for Industry: Voluntary Labeling Indicating Whether Foods Have or Have Not Been Developed Using Bioengineering, which was published in the January 18, 2001 Federal Register.
- March 13, 2001 - Premarket Notice Concerning Bioengineered Foods
The ASM submitted comments on the Food and Drug Administration's Premarket Notice Concerning Bioengineered Foods which was published in the January 18, 2001 Federal Register.