Using a 50X microviewer, participants will observe textiles and other materials for microscopic similarities and differences. They will construct a game board in which "one is not like the other" and then challenge another participant to decipher the unlike material.
By completing this activity, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the use of the microviewer
- Recognize microscopic similarities between materials
- Compare and contrast microscopic characteristics of materials
- Create a classification scheme of like and unlike materials
- Support their critical thinking and organization of their classification system.
- Gain an appreciation for the Science of Taxonomy
- Identify reasons why it is important to classify organisms
Necessary Student Background
Microscopic, Microviewer, Classification, Taxonomy.
Print a PDF of this activity
One of These Things is Not Like the Other (11 pages)