Get Funded: Understand the Grant Writing Process
Registration deadline: July 15
Webinar Schedule: August - October 2017
Writing your first grant? Overwhelmed by the grant writing process? Don't know where to start? We can help! Attend ASM's Grant Writing Online Course. This seven-part course will provide personalized feedback and cover a wide range of topics, including:
- The funding landscape
- Core aspects of successful grant applications
- Applying for foundation funding
- Writing impactful biosketches
- The review process
Registration for the course will open January 2017.
The course is based upon successful ASM professional development models in which participants:
- Attend interactive webinars presented by experts in the field,
- Complete pre- and post-webinar assignments, and
- Participate in an online community of participants, mentors, and facilitators
In order to get the most out of the course, you are strongly encouraged to:
- Participate in all seven webinars,
- Complete all pre- and post-webinar assignments in a timely manner,
- Interact with online community,
- Participate in surveys for a maximum of 24 months, and
- Have a personal computer
If you successfully complete all assignments, you will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Webinar #1: The funding landscape and an overview of the grant-writing enterprise
Webinar #2: The core of any successful grant application
Webinar #3: You’re not done yet! Other crucial components of a grant application
Webinar #4: Introducing yourself to reviewers: Impactful biosketches
Webinar #5: The grant review process
Webinar #6: Applying for foundation funding
Webinar #7: Feedback on submitted grant components
*All webinars are subject to change
Michael Ibba, Ph.D., The Ohio State University
Cindi Nau Cornelissen, Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University
Sponsorship and Credentials
The ASM Grant Writing Online Course webinar series is sponsored by the ASM Committee on Graduate and Postdoctoral Education of the ASM Education Board, Burroughs Wellcome Fund, and ASM-Leaders Inspiring Networks and Knowledge (ASM-LINK).
Eligibility & Registration
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a graduate student, postdoctoral scientist or early to mid-career scientist
- Have an interest in learning about the grant process
Registration is on a first come, first serve basis
Registration will open January 2017.
Click on REGISTER NOW and proceed with the following steps:
- Initially, you will be asked for an e-mail address and password. If you have not logged in before, a new account will be created when you enter your e-mail address and password.
- Upon providing the requested information, you will receive a message stating that your e-mail address is not in the system. This notice is NOT an error message.
- To confirm that your e-mail address is correct and you would like a new record created for the e-mail address that you have provided, please select "Yes, my e-mail address is correct, CONTINUE" then "Apply Now."
Step 1 will ask you to complete a profile.
- Under "Additional Information" be sure to select the appropriate educational statues under "Ed/Professional." The awards or programs available to you will depend on your profile information and educational status.
- Upon completing your profile, select "Continue Application."
Step 2 will generate a list of programs based on the educational status in your profile. Use the dropdown menu to select the Grant Writing Online Course.
- Before continuing with the registration form, you may want to learn more about the program by selecting "Read About Program."
- To proceed, select "Continue Application."
- If the Grant Writing Online Course does not show up in the drop down box, click "Update you profile" to review your education status or review the eligible criteria listed above.
Step 3 will allow you to complete the online application and upload supporting documents.
- Before logging off, be sure to select "Save and Finish Later" OR "Submit my Application."
ASM Members: $175
Become an ASM member for as little as $22/year!
Please note, no refunds will be given. Instead, all participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings for a limited time.
Be in the know. Like us on Facebook.