Featured Outreach Videos
ASM staff and volunteers were on hand at the 2012 USA Science and Engineering Festival. See what kids have to say about microbes and ASM staff and volunteers explain the various resources offered through ASM in this video produced by MicrobeWorld. ASM will also be onsite at the 2014 USA Science and Engineering Festival. More information can be found here.
Innocence by Viral Tagging
Adapted from an article published in mBio, this outreach video was developed by Ann Gregory and J. Cesar Ignacio Espinoza for the Ocean 180 Video Challenge. The video aims to engage students and non-scientists in ocean science by introducing the concept of viral tagging. More information on the video challege and its sponsor, the Florida Center for Ocean Sciences and Education Excellence (COSEE Florida) be found here.
Resources for the K-12 Community
The outreach kit includes guidelines, practical tips, activities and other resources to help scientists participate more fully with youth groups, community organizations, classroom teachers and students in kindergarten through high school (K-12). Scientists share their understanding and passion of the microbial world as well as their stories about using microbes to understand the world, practice in the profession, and pursue careers in microbiology. The kit includes:
- Guidelines - practical tips and best practices for effectively reaching out into the community.
- Tips and Tools for Scientists in the Classroom
- Scientists in Science Education from Biological Science Curriculum Study
- ReSET Volunteer Handbook: A Guide to Classroom Visits and Field Trips from Retired Scientists, Engineer and Technicians (ReSET)
- Guidelines from Great Presentations from National Genome Research Institute
- Education Outreach and Public Engagement by Erin Dolan from Springer, 2008, VIII, 92 p. 4 illus. IBSN 978-0-387-77791-7 (Table of contents-pdf)
- Classroom and Outreach Activities - more than two dozen activities catalogued around learning outcomes, national standards and grade level.
- Career Resources - Career resources and brochures are available from ASM. To reach out to future scientists, ASM provides a "What is Microbiology" poster.
- Statement on the Scientific Basis for Evolution - Approved in 2006 by ASM Council, this statement documents ASM position that evolution is not mere conjecture, but a conclusive discovery supported by a coherent body of integrated evidence.
- K-12 Microbiology Website Reviews - A selective list of websites reviewed by volunteers and members of ASM Committee on K-12 Education based on usefulness, purpose, content, ease of navigation, organization and relevance to the K-12 educator community.
- Microbeworld YouTube Channel - YouTube channel for all things ASM and microbiology.
Volunteer to Review Educational Resources
ASM provides peer-reviewed educational resources including visual and multimedia programs, classroom activities for K-16 education, teaching tips and tools, laboratory protocols, and scholarly papers. The ASM provides reviews of books and multimedia programs commenting on scientific accuracy, instructional use and appropriateness in science teaching and learning. The ASM recommends resources for graduate students and post-doctoral scientists in developing professional skills such as grantwriting, publishing, teaching and career planning. All reviews are conducted by members of the microbiology community, at their convenience and without leaving the office. Selection criteria and guidelines for preparing reviews are provided. Sign up with the Science Education Network to volunteer to review. Check out the resources:
Undergraduate Resources – MicrobeLibrary
Undergraduate Resources – Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education