Recognizing the importance of the public health emergency of the ebola outbreak in western Africa, the ASM has compiled a list of informational resources available from the Society and other sources on the disease. This list will be updated as new material becomes available.
ASM Journal Articles on Ebola
A compendium of every journal article published by the ASM on Ebola. No subscription required.
ASM Ebola FAQ
To help clarify some of the science about the current Ebola virus outbreak, the American Society for Microbiology gathered a team of experts to answer frequently answered questions.
November 7, 2014 - ASM Supports Emergency Funding to Combat Ebola Virus Outbreak
The ASM sent a letter to members of Congress supporting the Administration's $6.18 billion emergency funding request to combat the Ebola Virus outbreak.
October 29, 2014 - ASM Statement on CDC Interim Guidance on Monitoring and Movement of Persons with Suspected Ebola Contact
The ASM issued a statement regarding the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention new Interim Guidance on Monitoring and Movement of Persons with Suspected Ebola Contact.
October 28, 2014 - A Challenge to Develop Ebola Tools
The ASM sent a message to members about a White House Office of Science and Technology Policy program that solicits the global community to share innovative ideas that deliver practical and cost-effective innovations to address this crisis, to improve delivery of care, and stem the spread of Ebola virus disease.
October 2, 2014 - ASM Provides Ebola Resources for Clinical Laboratory Scientists
The ASM sent out a notice to clinical members about Ebola Virus resources.
September 23, 2014 - ASM Letter to the US HHS Concerning Scientific Resources in Response to the Ebola Virus Outbreak
The ASM sent a letter to Sylvia M. Burwell, Secretary US Department of Health & Human Services with recommendations concerning scientific resources that are needed in response to the Ebola virus outbreak.
September 23, 2014 - ASM Letter to the UN Concerning Scientific Resources in Response to the Ebola Virus Outbreak
The ASM sent a letter to David Nabarro, M.D., Senior United Nations System Coordinator for Ebola Virus Disease with recommendations concerning scientific resources that are needed in response to the Ebola virus outbreak.
September 17, 2014 - ASM Statement on Ebola Response
The ASM sent a statement about the Ebola response on September 17, 2014 to ASM members and members of Congress.
Interim Laboratory Guidelines for Handling/Testing Specimens from Cases or Suspected Cases of Hemorrhagic Fever Virus
The Committee on Laboratory Practices of ASM's Public and Scientific Affairs Board (PSAB) has prepared a document to assist laboratory personnel with testing in accordance with the current CDC Ebola Interim Guidance.
On September 8, 2014, 3 speakers presented information about the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa at the ASM’s annual infectious disease meeting, the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC).
- Ebola Outbreak Response in West Africa: A Diagnostic, Scientific, and More Importantly, Humanitarian Perspective
Gary Kobinger; Natl. Microbiol. Lab., Winnipeg, Canada
- Responding to the Ebola Outbreak in West Africa: Current Status and Lessons Learned
Barbara Knust, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA
- Managing Patients Infected with Ebola Virus in Developed Countries: Lessons Learned
Aneesh Mehta, Emory University School of Medicine
Watch the video of their press conference.
View their full scientific presentations:
Other Ebola Resources
General Outbreak Information:
- Ebola Preparedness: Emergency Department Training Modules
- 'What's New' from the CDC Regarding Ebola
- CDC's Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever Resources Page
- White House Fact Sheet: Update on the Ebola Response (December 2, 2014)
- World Health Organization Disease Outbreak News
- National Library of Medicine Emergency Access Initiative - Freely Available Biomedical Literature on Ebola
New Or Updated Guidance Documents:(Full range of guidance documents can be found on the CDC Ebola Web site http://www.cdc.gov/ebola
- CDC's Ebola Clinical Slideset for Clinicians to use During Grand Rounds
- CDC Guidance For Laboratories Managing Clinical Specimens In Areas Where Ebola Is A Concern
- NIH's CLinical Center Grand Rounds with Dr. Fauci and Dr. Chertow, October 23, 2014
- Emory Heathcare's Ebola Preparedness Protocols
- CDC Guidance for Malaria Diagnosis in Patients Suspected of Ebola
- CDC has updated their guidance on specimen submission due to the issuance of HAN 364
- Guidance on Personal Protective Equipment To Be Used by Healthcare Workers During Management of Patients with Ebola Virus Disease in U.S. Hospitals, Including Procedures for Putting On (Donning) and Removing (Doffing) – posted 10/20/2014
- Interim Guidance Regarding Compliance with Select Agent Regulations for Laboratories Handling Patient Specimens (NEW)
- Interim U.S. Guidance for Monitoring and Movement of Persons with Potential Ebola Virus Exposure (October 27, 2014)
- Ebola Grand Challenge - posted 10/29/2014
- U.S. National Science Foundation RAPID Funding for Ebola Research – posted 10/19/2014
- To Fight Ebola, Create a Health Workforce Reserve Force (Op-Ed, Los Angeles Times)
- A United Nations Security Council Resolution is Essential to Preventing the Threat to International Peace and Security Posed by Ebola (The O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law)
- Ebola: Towards an International Health Systems Fund (The Lancet -- Subscription Required)
Garth Hogan, ASM Office of Communications