Nomination and Election
Members of the Academy, known as Fellows, are elected through a highly selective, annual, peer-reviewed process, based on their records of scientific achievement and original contributions that have advanced microbiology.
The criteria for election to Fellowship are scientific excellence, originality, and leadership; high ethical standards; and scholarly and creative achievement. Membership in the AAM includes individuals representing the varied facets of microbiology, including basic, clinical, and applied research, teaching, public health, industry, and government service. Qualifications are:
- An earned doctoral degree.
- Senior professional standing recognized at the national or international level.
- Outstanding and original contributions to the field of microbiology.
Outstanding contributions may be evidenced by distinguished scholarly achievement and a strong publication record, supported by strong professional and editorial board service; honorary, scientific, educational, clinical, and professional achievement awards; inventions; patents; and board certification.
Nomination to Fellowship is made through the sponsorship of three (3) Fellows in good standing. The sponsors shall provide such information as is required for election to Fellowship. Exceptions to any of the above requirements will be considered by the Committee on Elections upon petition of five (5) AAM Fellows in the area of specialization of the nominee.
The Committee on Elections (COE) reviews nominations once each year. Nominations approved by a 2/3 vote of the COE are forwarded to the Board of Governors (BOG). Nominees ratified by a 2/3 vote of the BOG are welcomed to Fellowship each year at the ASM General Meeting.
While not required, including the nominee’s top achievements from at least one of the areas below will be helpful to reviewers:
Specific examples of noteworthy contributions:
- discoveries that are spurring new research directions,
- novel technological or methodological developments that have been adopted broadly in the field,
- fundamental new theoretical contributions, or
- contributions in the broad area of microbiology or a specific sub-discipline with demonstrable societal impact.
Examples of appropriate supporting evidence of education and public outreach:
- sustained contributions (well over a decade) in providing teaching, education, and educational materials for postdoctoral, graduate or undergraduate students, or
- public education and outreach.
Examples of sustained contributions in national and international service including:
- government service,
- organization of meetings,
- chairing or serving on NRC, IOM, or other national study committees, or
- other community service (such as serving on committees and working groups for ASM or other professional organizations).
How to Nominate
A complete nomination requires the following:
- Nomination form . Must be completed by the nominator, including complete contact information for the nominee and the names of two Fellows who will support the nomination. No more than one person making or supporting the nomination may be affiliated with the same institution as the nominee. It is the nominator's responsibility to obtain the support of the two Fellows seconding the nomination. Complete and submit the nomination form online by clicking here. The online nomination form does not require a signature.
- Supporting Form . Supporting Fellows are required to provide a statement of support using the form found here.
- Diversity. Diversity in Academy membership is desired, and it would be helpful to indicate if the nominee would facilitate achievement of this goal.
- Curriculum vitae. The nominee's CV should be complete and recently updated. It should include honors and awards, teaching, service, professional society memberships, grant review panels, editorial boards, and a complete list of publications. Email the CV to firstname.lastname@example.org . CV's cannot be uploaded to the online nomination form.
Deadline: All required components must be received by November 1. Any nominations received after this date will be held over until the following year.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please email email@example.com .