Return to General Overview of the ASM Headquarter Fellowship Programs
The American Society for Microbiology’s Department of Communications and Marketing Strategy has an opening for an ASM Headquarters Fellow. The Department provides a variety of communication services for the Society including press relations, public outreach and social media management. The fellow will have the opportunity to learn about and to gain experience with a wide range of science communication activities.
During the course of the year the fellow will:
- increase knowledge of best practices in science communication,
- develop a portfolio of writing samples and public outreach activities for a range of audiences including the press, ASM membership and the public at-large,
- improve project and people management skills,
- gain leadership and collaboration skills,
- increase knowledge of non-research, science-based career options, and
- develop a network of contacts in media relations, informal science education, policy and government as well as others.
The ASM Fellow must:
- have a Ph.D. in microbiology or a related field,
- provide their CV,
- provide a personal statement,
- provide a list of volunteer experience, and
- provide two letters of reference.
Candidates must have solid scientific credentials as evidenced from publications and presentations. Participation in ASM-sponsored activities is desirable. Applicants should have experience in public outreach. A successful applicant will have demonstrated initiative and leadership by organizing either departmental or volunteer activities.
The application is currently available. To apply, click Apply Now.
ASM Headquarter Fellowship in Communications and Marketing
Human Resources Department
American Society for Microbiology
1752 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 737-3600