This inquiry-based activity allows students to explore the scientific process of fermentation. During the investigation, students will be responsible for observing and explaining how yeast utilizes various forms of natural sugar and sugar substitutes to produce energy. Students will also recognize how the type and amount of food sources can directly influence the metabolic activities of living organisms.
Upon completing this activity, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate the use of the microviewer.
- compare and contrast microscopic characteristics of materials
- create a classification scheme of like and unlike materials.
- use critical thinking and reasoning skills to support the organization of their classification system.
- identify reasons why it is important to classify organisms.
metabolism, fungi, yeast, fermentation, Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Print a PDF of this activity