Receive a Stipend for an Undergraduate to Conduct Summer Research in Your Lab
Do you know an exceptional undergraduate student? Are you passionate about mentoring? Looking for ways to enhance your lab?
Apply for a 2017 Undergraduate Research Fellowship with your student. This 10-12 week summer program will provide your undergraduate with up to $4,000 to conduct research in your lab for 10-12 weeks during the summer and receive up to $2,000 to attend the Microbe Academy for Professional Development and present the research at ASM Microbe (pending abstract acceptance).
The fellowship application requires the student to initiate the application. Once the student inputs your information as the faculty mentor, you will receive an email to complete your portion of the application.
Application Deadline: February 15
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THIS PROGRAM?
- Showcase your lab’s research at a national meeting through your student’s presentation at ASM Microbe (pending abstract acceptance)
- Funds for your student to receive a stipend of up to $4,000 to conduct summer research
- Mentor a talented student
- Enhance your mentoring skills
- Access to ASM's network of career resources and professionals
- Bring a nationally recognized program to your institution
AM I ELIGIBLE?
You are eligible if you have:
- an appointment at the same institution as your student,
- ASM membership,
- ongoing research project, and
- desire to serve as a mentor for the duration of the student's research experience
Early career faculty members are strongly encouraged to apply
Eligible research areas include, but are not limited to:
- metagenomics, microbial genetics and molecular biology
- microbiomes, microbial evolution and diversity
- pathogenesis, immunology and virology
- clinical science and public health
- food, agricultural and industrial sciences
Your student is eligible, if s/he is:
- ASM member,
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident,
- enrolled as full-time matriculating undergraduate student at a US accredited institution,
- planning to continue his/her undergraduate studies immediately after the summer research experience,
- involved in a research project, and
- not receive financial support for research from other sources (i.e., Council for Undergraduate Research, Minority Access to Research Careers, Sigma Xi) during the fellowship
HOW DO I APPLY?
Your student must intitate the application. You will receive an email from the student indicating the application has been created and your section is ready for you to complete.
Your portion of the application and the student's portion must be completed by February 15.
Please note the deadline has passed and the application is no longer available.
Your portion requires:
-Overview of Project
-Mentoring and Professional Goals
-Description of Current Laboratory
Your student's portion requires:
-ASM membership and member number
-Two letters of recommendation
You will be notified the status of your application in late April/early May.
WHAT WILL MAKE MY APPLICATION COMPETETIVE?
Your portion of the application should demonstrate:
- Commitment to mentoring students interested in pursuing careers in the microbial sciences
- If you are an early career faculty member, you should acknowledge the impact of this program on your professional goals
Preference is given to faculty members who have not received an ASM URF in the previous two years.
Your student’s portion of the application should demonstrate:
- Academic preparedness and interest in the microbial sciences
- Understanding about and interest in microbiology-relevant careers
- Motivation to attain relevant education and training to achieve career goals
- Understanding about his/her contributions towards overall research goals
Did you know?
Approximately 90 individuals apply for the fellowship and around 40 awards are given each year.
WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?
WHAT HAVE PAST FELLOWS ACCOMPLISHED?
For more information on past participants and their accomplishments, read the fellowship report.