Receive Summer Research Stipend
Interested in a career in the microbial sciences? Looking to develop your research skills? Apply for the 2017 Undergraduate Research Fellowship (URF) program!
Conduct research at your university while being mentored by a faculty member. Fellowship recipients receive up to $4,000 to perform 10-12 weeks of research over the summer.
In addition, you will be encouraged to submit your research abstract for presentation at ASM Microbe 2018. If it is accepted, you will receive up to $2,000 in travel funds to attend the Microbe Academy for Professional Development prior to the meeting and present your research at ASM Microbe.
Add to your accomplishments and gain valuable experience this summer!
Application Deadline: February 15
Please note this is a joint application between you and a faculty mentor.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAM?
- Receive a stipend
- Conduct research at your home university
- Community college students can conduct research at a near-by four year university.
- Obtain travel funds to present research and attend professional development workshop (pending acceptance of your abstract to ASM Microbe 2018)
- Be mentored by a faculty member
- Build your resume by participating in a prestigious program
- Access to ASM's network of career resources and professionals
AM I ELIGIBLE?
You are eligible, if you meet all of the following criteria:
- ASM member,
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident,
- enrolled as full-time matriculating undergraduate student at an US accredited institution,
- planning to continue your undergraduate studies immediately after the summer research experience,
- involved in a research project,
- have an ASM member at your home institution willing to serve as a mentor, and
- not receive financial support for research from other sources (i.e., Council for Undergraduate Research, Minority Access to Research Careers, Sigma Xi) during the fellowship
If you are from a non-research-intensive institution, such as a community college or minority serving institution, or from an underserved population in science, you are encouraged to apply.
Eligible research areas include, but are not limited to:
- metagenomics, microbial genetics and molecular biology
- microbiomes, microbial evolution and diversity
- pathogenesis, immunology and virology
- clinical science and public health
- food, agricultural and industrial sciences
Your faculty mentor is eligible, if s/he has:
- an appointment at the same institution,
- ASM membership,
- ongoing research project, and
- desire to serve as your mentor for the duration of the research experience
HOW DO I APPLY?
Complete the application by February 15.
Please note the deadline has passed and the application is no longer available.
The program requires a joint application from both you and your faculty mentor. It is your responsibility to submit a completed application by February 15.
Your portion of the application requires:
-ASM membership and member number
-Two letters of recommendation
Your faculty mentor's portion of the application requires:
-Overview of project
-Mentoring and professional goals
-Description of current laboratory
You will be notified the status of your application in late April/early May.
WHAT WILL MAKE MY APPLICATION COMPETITIVE?
Your portion of the application should demonstrate:
- Academic preparedness and interest in the microbial sciences
- Understanding about and interest in microbiology-relevant careers
- Motivation to attain relevant education and training to achieve career goals
- Understanding about your contributions towards overall research goals
Your faculty mentor's portion of the application should demonstrate:
- Commitment to mentoring students interested in pursuing careers in the microbial sciences
- Early career faculty should also acknowledge the impact of this program on his/her's professional goals
Early career faculty are strongly encouraged to participate. Preference is given to faculty members who have not received an ASM URF in the previous two years.
Did you know?
Approximately 90 individuals apply for the UR-Fellowship and around 40 awards are given each year.
WHO CAN I CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION?
WHAT HAVE PAST FELLOWS ACCOMPLISHED?
For more information on past participants and their accomplishments, read the fellowship report.