The ASM PSAB sent letters commenting on federal government policies related to the following dual use research issues:
- The Department of Health and Human Services Framework for review and approval of gain-of-function research on HPAI H5N1 viruses that goes beyond the standard review process for federally funded life sciences research
- US Government policy related to “dual use research of concern” (DURC) involving a specific set of pathogens that includes HPAI viruses like H5N1 (ASM Response)
- Proposed guidance for institutional oversight of DURC that covers H5N1 experimentation (whether or not the research involves gain-of-function)
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) request for public comment on whether HPAI H5N1 should be added to the human select agent list (HPAI viruses are already US Department of Agriculture select agents) (ASM Response)
- The NIH OBA request for comments on its February 21 Federal Register notice regarding changes to the NIH RDNA Guidelines involving enhanced biosafety and occupational health practices for facilities engaged in research on mammalian-transmissible highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 viruses. (ASM Response)
To see all of ASM’s letters related to Dual Use Research go to the Biosecurity Issue page.