Recognizes an outstanding scientist/clinical microbiologist with distinguished research achievements, and a record of innovation and advancement of the Clinical Microbiology profession. This award represents the merging of the BD Research and Sonnenwirth Awards given annually since 1978 and 1986, respectively.
EligibilityThe nominee must demonstrate outstanding accomplishment in research and leadership in the clinical microbiology profession. The nominee should be actively engaged in research and clinical laboratory service at the time that the nomination is made. The nomination is based on an aggregate of exemplary achievements. While scientists at any career stage are eligible, this award is best suited for established clinical microbiologists.
- Nominations will be considered without updating for 3 years.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- More than one nomination per nominee will not be accepted.
- Only one nominator and two references are accepted per nomination.
- Of the three participants in a nomination (nominator and two references), only one can be from the same employment unit (e.g., department, institute, center, company) as the nominee.
- Please note: the references are not required to submit statements; they will only be contacted if the committee requires more information regarding the nomination.
Nominations must consist of the following:
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nominations are closed for the 2020 ASM Awards
ASM awards are granted at the discretion of award selection committees and may not be awarded every year.