This award, named in honor of Professor Moselio Schaechter, former ASM President, recognizes a scientist who has shown exemplary leadership and commitment towards the substantial furthering of the profession of microbiology in research, education or technology in the developing world.
EligibilityIndividuals (for example: microbiologists who have been instrumental in setting up properly functioning clinical microbiology laboratories or successful biotechnology services based on microbiology; academicians who have developed high quality undergraduate or graduate training programs; researchers who have demonstrated leadership in the context of the region) from the upper-middle, lower-middle, and low-income countries as determined per World Bank’s classification. The nominee must be a national or a permanent resident of a qualifying country and have or have had a full-time professional appointment in the microbiological sciences or a related field for at least ten years in a country or region of the developing world. The nominees may not be currently serving on any ASM Board or Committee and cannot be an ASM Ambassador at the time of the nomination deadline. The nominee must be an active ASM member at the time of nomination deadline.
- Nominations will be considered without updating for 3 years.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- More than one nomination per nominee will not be accepted.
- Only one nominator and two references are accepted per nomination.
- Of the three participants in a nomination (nominator and two references), only one can be from the same employment unit (e.g., department, institute, center, company) as the nominee.
- Please note: the references are not required to submit statements; they will only be contacted if the committee requires more information regarding the nomination.
Nominations must consist of the following:
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, emailed to email@example.com
- Nominations are closed for the 2020 ASM Awards
ASM awards are granted at the discretion of award selection committees and may not be awarded every year.