This award, named in honor of Professor Moselio Schaechter, former ASM President, recognizes a scientist who has shown exemplary leadership and commitment towards the substantial furthering of the profession of microbiology in research, education or technology in the developing world.
EligibilityIndividuals (for example: microbiologists who have been instrumental in setting up properly functioning clinical microbiology laboratories or successful biotechnology services based on microbiology; academicians who have developed high-quality undergraduate or graduate training programs; researchers who have demonstrated leadership in the context of the region) from the upper-middle, lower-middle and low-income countries as determined per World Bank’s classification. The nominee must be a national or a permanent resident of a qualifying country and have or have had a full-time professional appointment in the microbiological sciences or a related field for at least 10 years in a country or region of the developing world. The nominees may not be currently serving on any ASM board or committee and cannot be an ASM Ambassador at the time of the nomination deadline. The nominee must be an active ASM member at the time of nomination deadline.
- Nominations will be considered without updating for 3 years.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- More than 1 nomination per nominee will not be accepted.
- Only 1 nominator and 2 references are accepted per nomination.
- Of the 3 participants in a nomination (nominator and 2 references), only 1 can be from the same employment unit (e.g., department, institute, center, company) as the nominee.
- Please note: the references are not required to submit statements; they will only be contacted if the committee requires more information regarding the nomination.
- Deadline for nominations is June 28, 2020.
Nominations must consist of the following:
- Nomination Form (Note: The nomination form is an online form; Nominator will need to create an ASM account, or log in to his or her current ASM account to complete the nomination.)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), including a list of publications; Nominators will be directed to attach the nominee's CV to the online nomination form during the nomination process.
ASM awards are granted at the discretion of award selection committees and may not be awarded every year.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.