Aligning ASM Microbe 2019’s Career Activities with Your Career DevelopmentWhether a student or a postdoc, everyone goes through the career development process, consciously or unconsciously.
Career development is managing one’s career by getting experiences, education, skills, and job search strategies that shape your interests and future career goals, eventually placing you into a fulfilled career.
You may have started career planning based on the resources available at your campus, or not. But don’t worry, ASM Microbe 2019 is a great place to start, no matter what step you are in the career development process!
By the end of this article, we hope that you:
- Determine where you are in the career development process.
- Take advantage of ASM Microbe 2019’s career activities, particularly the activities relevant to your step in the career development process.
- Reflect and make SMART goals for your career after attending ASM Microbe 2019.
1st Step in the Career Development Process: Understanding YouYou want to identify what’s important to you in and outside of your career. These range from scientific interests to management styles and even geographical preferences. You need to evaluate the skills you've developed through your experiences and education, your values of what feels fulfilling to you and motivates you, and your interests in particular topics, issues, and tasks.
At ASM Microbe 2019, the Microbe Academy for Professional Development Workshop will offer a session on putting together an Individual Development Plan (IDP), based on ScienceCareers myIDP. The exercise will take you through assessing your skills, values, and interests.
2nd Step in the Career Development Process: ExplorationYou want to find a career path(s) that fits closely with your skills, values, and interests. The best way to do this is to explore different careers. If you aren’t coming to ASM Microbe, check out our online career profiles. For those coming to ASM Microbe 2019, we have many sessions to give you a deep dive into your career options.
June 21, 2019
- Career Opportunities for the Clinical Microbiologist in Industry - 7:15 AM, 207/208 South
- Postdoc-ing in Industry and Government and Everything in Between - 7:15 AM, 2020 West
- Career Talk: Janice Chen; Co-founder/Chief Scientific Officer, Mammoth Biosciences - 1:15 PM, POM Lounge and Learn, Level 2
- Career Talk: Duncan MacCannell, Chief Scientific Officer, CDC - 2:00 PM, POM Lounge and Learn, West, Level 2
- Career Talk: Gail Rodgers, Senior Program Officer at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - 1:15 PM, POM Lounge and Learn, West, Level 2
- Career Talk: Jennifer Dien Bard, Director, Clinical Microbiology and Virology, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles - 2:00 PM, POM Lounge and Learn, West, Level 2
- Insights on Industry Careers for Microbiologists - 12:00 PM, MBP Track Hub (Booth 551), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- Career Exploration in Microbiology - 1:30 PM, Exhibit and Poster Hall, Career Zone (Booth 4811)
- Career Talk: Scott Hecker, Qpex Biopharma, Inc. - 2:30 PM, POM Lounge and Learn, West, Level 2
- Career Opportunities and Journeys into Public Health Microbiology - 7:15 AM, 207/208 South
3rd Step in the Career Development Process: Building Yourself and Your NetworkOnce you’ve chosen 2-3 career paths of interests, you need to gain more experience and skills, and increase your network in the desired field. At ASM Microbe, we have some interesting sessions to help you build up your skills.
June 20, 2019: Workshops require an additional fee.
- Microbial Ecology using R and Bioconductor: From Raw Reads to Statistical Testing - 8:00 AM, 2001 West
- Early Career Grants to Bootstrap Your Research - 12:30 PM, 2010 West
- Beginning Bioinformatics: An Introduction to the Command Line - 12:30 PM, 2007 West
- Obtaining and Starting a Faculty Position: A Chat with New Assistant Professors - 1:15 PM, MBP Track Hub (Booth 551), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- Incorporating Data Science and Reproducible Research Into Your Practice and Teaching - 1:30 PM, 2022 West
- It Takes a Village: Raising Your Scicomm Voice Within Your Scientific Society - 2:30 PM, POM Track Hub (Booth 2136), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- Science in 30 Seconds: Communicating Research Concisely and Effectively - 4:15 PM, POM Track Hub (Booth 2136), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- How to be a Great Clinical Lab Manager - 11:00 AM, CPHM Track Hub (Booth 5109), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- Mentoring, Getting it Right - 12:00 PM, POM Track Hub (Booth 2136), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- Bringing New Life and Technologies to Undergraduate Microbiology Courses - 1:30 PM, 2018 West
- Best Practices for Biosafety in Teaching Laboratories - 2:30 PM, POM Track Hub (Booth 2136), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- A Primer for Class Design: Writing Learning Outcomes - 12:00 PM, POM Track Hub (Booth 2136), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- Communicating Science in the Era of Alternative Facts - 1:30 PM, 2022 West
4th Step in the Career Development Process: Job SearchIf you already know what types of careers you are interested in and ready to enter a job search, then you’ve made it to the last step! In the job search process you are putting your application materials together, applying, and completing the interview phase. ASM Microbe has these activities to help you successfully execute a job search.
- June 21, 2019: Converting a CV into a Resume – 1:15 PM, POM Track Hub (Booth 2136), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- June 22, 2019: Putting Your Best (Targeted) Foot Forward: Marketing Yourself and Your Lab - 7:15 AM, 2020 West
- June 23, 2019: Social Media and Your Career - 2:30 PM, HMB Track Hub (Booth 3005), Exhibit and Poster Hall
- June 21-23, 2019: ASM’s Job Board, Career Connections, will be on hand to answer your questions. For the first time, apply for jobs online and you may get picked by employers attending ASM Microbe 2019 for an interview! – 11 AM – 4 PM, Career Zone (Booth 4811), Exhibit and Poster Hall