Engage in discussions on discipline-based education research (DBER) journal article readings through this 7-part webinar series. Individuals can purchase a 7-part series for a discounted price or purchase individual webinars.
At the end of this course, participants will:
- Consider scholarly ways of improving your classroom teaching
- Understand how learning theory informs DBER work
- Identify how to use DBER studies to enhance student learning
- Become familiar with the diversity of DBER studies
- Evaluate qualitative and quantitative study design and data collection and analysis approaches
- Identify how to get started with an education research question that you may want to investigate and publish
- Belong to and collaborate with a biology faculty learning community focused on improving undergraduate biology education.
How will you learn?
- Biweekly live and interactive webinars and virtual journal clubs
- Feedback on pre-webinar and post-webinar assignments
- Discussion boards with your colleagues and facilitators
Skills you will gain:
- Scholarly teaching
- Implementation of learning theory
- Education research basics
- Identification of education reserach questions
- Study design and IRB review
- Evaluation of DBER literature
- Development of assessment tools
- Postdocs with teaching experience and an interest in undergraduate teaching careers
- Early-career, mid-career, and late-career undergraduate educators who want to improve their classroom teaching skills and have not yet published an educational research study
Registration DetailsRegistration for the entire series (7 webinars) includes:
- Access to live webinar(s) and recording(s)
- Participation in a virtual biology faculty learning community
- Pre- and post-webinar assignments, which may include reading articles and participating in discussion boards
- Upon completion of the series:
- Certificate of completion
- Invitation to participate or volunteer in several professional development activites with ASM.
ASM Member: $299
Non-ASM Member: $349
ASM Member: $50
Non-ASM Member: $75
Note: All members except for Supporting Members qualify for the ASM member rates. No refunds will be given. Instead, all articipants who pay the registration fee will be givene access to the recordings for a limited time.