Registration is still open! View recordings for webinars you missed.
New to writing manuscripts for scientific journals? Reviewing a manuscript for the first time? Looking for fresh insights? ASM’s Scientific Writing and Publishing Online Course equips you with the skills you need to publish in top tier scientific journals. Learn from seasoned scientists who frequently publish and review in ASM journals.
You will learn to:
- Craft a provoking title and abstract.
- Develop informative and clear figures and tables.
- Select an appropriate journal to publish your research.
- Avoid common mistakes in the submission process.
- Evaluate journal articles from a reviewer's perspective.
FormatIn the program, you are strongly encouraged to:
- Attend seven 60-minute interactive webinars presented by experts in the field. Webinars are recorded for later viewing in case of conflicts.
- Participate in live Q&A sessions with presenters.
- Complete pre-webinar assignments.
- Provide feedback via surveys for a maximum of 24 months.
Course LeadersPeggy Cotter, Ph.D., University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Mary O’Riordan, Ph.D., University of Michigan
Topics & ScheduleLive Webinars: Thursdays 2:00 – 3:00 PM Eastern Time (ET)
- February 7 - Webinar 1 - Writing Compelling Titles and Abstracts - Mary O’Riordan, Ph.D.
- February 21 - Webinar 2 - Introductions - Karen Elkins, Ph.D.
- March 7 - Webinar 3 - Figures and Figure Legends - Peggy Cotter, Ph.D.
- March 21 - Webinar 4 - Results and Methods - Joanna Goldberg, Ph.D.
- April 4 - Webinar 5 - Discussions - Elizabeth Shank, Ph.D.
- April 18 - Webinar 6 - Authors are from Mars, Reviewers are from Venus - Steven Blanke, Ph.D.
- May 2 - Webinar 7 - How to Review a Manuscript - Victor DiRita, Ph.D.
To be eligible you must be:
- Interested in learning about the scientific writing and publishing process.
- Willing to commit time and resources to participate in course activities from February to May 2019.
Registration is still open! View recordings for webinars you missed.Notes:
All members except for Supporting Members qualify for the ASM member rates. Please note, no refunds will be given. Instead, all participants who pay the registration fee will be given access to the recordings for a limited time.
Benefits & RecognitionYou will receive benefits, including a(n):
- Certificate of participation.
- Invitation to sign up for manuscript consultation sessions at Microbe 2019 in San Francisco, CA.