Postdoctoral training in a CPEP-approved program is the best first step toward an exciting career. All CPEP fellows conduct original or collaborative research in conjunction with their clinical training in:
- Laboratory management
- Public health
- Laboratory safety
- Diagnostic bacteriology
- Parasitology and virology
- Methods in antimicrobial testing
- Molecular diagnostic techniques for infectious diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- Infectious diseases
CPEP fellowships are open to postdoctoral-level candidates (e.g., Ph.D., M.D., Sc.D., D.O., and Dr. P.H.). Applicants should read the eligibility requirements of each program and submit the online application to programs of interest to them.
- Confirm your eligibility.
- Identify the program that you are interested in.
- Apply online.
- The program will contact you if they’d like to move forward.
ApplyDates & Deadlines
See a list of important application dates and deadlines for each program here.
Please note that application review periods are not standardized among the programs, and not all programs accept a new fellow each year.
Learn MoreCPEP Program Descriptions
Become a CPEP Accredited Program
Are you seeking accreditation (approval) for a postgraduate fellowship training program in medical and public health microbiology or medical laboratory immunology? Your institution must meet these requirements:
- Have complete clinical laboratories or reference laboratories that perform clinical and/or public health microbiology or immunology procedures
- Be accredited, certified, or licensed as required by law
- Adhere to non-discriminatory practices with regard to race, color, creed, sex, age, sexual preference, national origin or disability, in admission and treatment of students, postdoctoral students, and staff
- Adhere to the ASM Code of Ethics
- Meet the requirements in the design and conduct of CPEP-accredited medical and public health laboratory microbiology or medical laboratory immunology programs.
To apply for CPEP accreditation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the necessary forms and requirements.
The application review and accreditation process can take up to 12 months, including a site visit.