The ASM Research Capstone Fellowship awards underrepresented minority students up to $2,000 to attend and present at the ASM Microbe Academy for Professional Development and the ASM Microbe Meeting (contingent upon abstract acceptance).
Doctoral candidates receive up to $2,000 in additional funding during years two and three of the fellowship to participate in professional development courses/training and/or attend local or national meetings.
What are the benefits of the fellowship?
Unique opportunities for professional development and career networking in the microbial sciences to improve:
- success in academic preparedness
- career prospects
- Community college, undergraduate, and post-baccalaureate students
A one-year professional development fellowship that enhances students’ presentation and networking skills, provides resources to introduce them to disciplinary scientific meetings, and prepares them to transition to graduate school.
- Master’s level and early doctoral students (prior to taking the preliminary exam)
A one-year professional development fellowship that helps students secure a research project and mentor who fosters their interests in the microbial sciences and guides them in completing graduate school and pursuing doctoral candidacy.
- Doctoral candidates (post-preliminary examination)
A three-year professional development fellowship that helps doctoral candidates successfully complete their doctoral degree and transition into the next phase of their career in the microbial sciences.
Eligibility requirements include:
- ASM membership
- U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, or DACA eligibility
- Enrollment as a community college, undergraduate, or post-baccalaureate student
- Membership of an underrepresented minority group
- Conducting research in the microbiological sciences
- Submission of an abstract for presentation at ASM Microbe 2019
- A research mentor who is an ASM member (does not apply to the community college, undergraduate, and post-baccalaureate track)
ApplyThe application window for the Research Capstone Fellowship is now closed.
Learn MoreHave any questions?
Contact Shaundra Holmes at 202-942-9282 or email email@example.com.