This travel award encourages increased participation of underrepresented minority (URM) groups in the ASM Microbe 2019. ASM will select faculty, post-doctoral scholars or graduate students from URM groups in the microbiological sciences or faculty from Minority Serving Institutions.
Underrepresented Minority (URM) Groups are U.S. citizens of racial and ethnic minority groups that are underrepresented in biomedical research, such as blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders.
Program DetailsEach awardee will be offered up to $1,000 to defray expenses associated with travel to the ASM Microbe 2019. Allowable expenses are meeting registration, roundtrip economy airfare and lodging.
EligibilityTo qualify for consideration the applicant must be:
- A current ASM member at the time of ASM Microbe 2019.
- From one of the targeted groups:
- Faculty from a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), such as Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI), and Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCU).
- Faculty from community colleges.
- URM Faculty regardless of institutional type.
- URM Postdoctoral Scholars.
- URM Graduate Students.
- A U.S. citizen.
- Positioned to have access to students from URM groups pursuing areas related to the microbiological sciences.
- Experienced in training and mentoring minority students (URM postdoctoral fellows can be selected in this category because of their potential to serve as role models and mentors for URMs training at their institutions).
- Committed to research in microbiology and related sciences, diversity and volunteer services.
- Curriculum vitae (CV) including research, teaching, outreach and funding information (2 pages).
- 1-page statement giving a brief description of your research, teaching and mentoring activities.
- Letter attesting to your research, teaching and service commitments from an appropriate college or university official (e.g., department chair, dean).