Teaching Undergraduate Biology Webinar Series
This series introduces fundamental concepts of evidence-based teaching that you can readily apply in the classroom or lab, as well as essential career development tips for undergraduate educators. Here, participants will develop capacity for science teaching careers for positions at a variety of nondoctoral institutions – community colleges, minority-serving institutions, regional or state colleges and primarily undergraduate institutions. The content in the webinars builds upon content learned in previous webinars through the series. Learn from award-winning leaders in undergraduate biology education. The webinar series is based on ASM’s Science Teaching Fellows Program (2012-2017), which prepared over 250 early-career scientists for teaching-related careers at nondoctoral colleges and universities.
Learning GoalsAfter the completion of the webinar series, participants will be able to:
- Implement best practices in curriculum development, such as backward design.
- Use active learning strategies in the classroom.
- Identify tools, resources, and connections to enhance classroom practices.
- Develop skill sets that make you a stronger applicant when applying for academic positions.
How will you learn in this series?
- Attend six 60-minute interactive webinars presented by award-winning and deeply experienced undergraduate educators. Webinars are recorded for later viewing in case of time conflicts.
- Participate in live activities and Q&A sessions with presenters.
- Participate in a virtual faculty learning community about teaching undergraduate biology.
- Complete assignments.
Webinars in the series
- Learning For All: The Practice of Inclusive Teaching
- Curriculum Design for Biology
- Aligning Assessment With Learning Outcomes
- Engaging Students in the Classroom
- Active Learning Techniques
- Writing a Teaching Philosophy Statement
PresenterDr. Loretta Brancaccio-Taras
EligibilityA graduate student, postdoc or early-career scientist/faculty, transitioning to teaching who is also:
- Studying, conducting research or teaching in the microbiological and related sciences.
- Interested in careers that have a substantial undergraduate teaching component.
Register for the Full Series
You may register for either the 6-webinar package at a discount package pricing or individual webinars.
All members except for Supporting Members qualify for discounted rates.
Registration for the entire series (6 webinars) includes additional benefits:
- Access to all live events and recordings of webinars.
- Discounted package pricing.
- Participation in a virtual learning community about undergraduate teaching.
- Feedback about your learning through assignments.
- Upon completing the 6-webinar series and providing feedback through surveys: