Deadline – NOVEMBER 15, 2014
The Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA), housed at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC), is pleased to announce two Travel Awards for research at the ASM Archives in the area of the history of microbiology.
Up to two cash grants of $1500 each will be awarded. Awardees may be invited to present their research at the ASM Annual Meeting and/or prepare an article for Microbe, the ASM membership magazine.
The grants support research of the awardees’ choosing, in areas that can be supported by materials in the CHOMA collections. The CHOMA collections include 9,000 volumes on microbiology and related topics, photographs of scientists and microbes, topical files on various aspects of microbiology, biographical materials, instructional materials (including slides and motion pictures), records of the Society (including journals and proceedings of meetings) from its founding in 1899 to the present, and several collections of personal papers. For additional information on the collection, go to http://www.asm.org/choma or contact the ASM Archivist, Jeff Karr, at email@example.com.
Time Frame and Location of Research
The travel award is to be used for travel expenses to visit the ASM Archives, located at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, to conduct the above-mentioned research.
- All research must take place before November 1, 2015.
- All awardees must provide a report to the Archivist on their research by December 31, 2015.
- Any article prepared for Microbe as a result of the research must be completed by June 1, 2016.
Applicants for the History of Microbiology Research Travel Awards must submit the following via e-mail to the ASM Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- CV (any length)
- Detailed description of the proposed project (three pages maximum) clearly demonstrating its historical intent
- Short description of previous historical research undertaken by applicant (if applicable) and/or an indication of how/why the applicant became interested in the history of microbiology
- Tentative list of archive materials to be used based on the descriptions of CHOMA holdings found at the website
- Two letters of recommendation (which should be e-mailed directly by individuals providing the recommendations)
All applications and letters of recommendation must be submitted no later than NOVEMBER 15, 2014 to the ASM Archivist, Jeff Karr, at email@example.com
All applications will be reviewed by a sub-committee of the Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA) Committee. Decisions of the selection committee are final.
- Awards will be announced by December 30, 2014.
- All candidates will receive an e-mail notification of the status of their applications after the selection committee makes its decisions.
Acknowledgment of Funding
In papers or presentations, please acknowledge funding from the Center for the History of Microbiology/ASM Archives (CHOMA), as appropriate.
For additional information on the award and award guidelines, contact Jeff Karr at firstname.lastname@example.org