The application must be made jointly between a hosting institution and the visiting professor.
- Institution with graduate students enrolled in a masters, doctoral or equivalent program, post-doctoral fellows or residents, and teaching faculty.
- Institution where at least 12 students will be enrolled full-time in the short course.
- Commitment to maximizing use of the course, as demonstrated by the applicability of the course’s contents to existing programs at the institution or to the field of research of the Research Professor.
- Demonstrated commitment to international collaborations and partnerships.
Visiting Teaching Professor
Visiting Research Professor
- Preference will be given to applicants who have obtained within the past five years, or are in the process of obtaining, a PhD, or other equivalent academic degree.
- Must be actively involved in research in the microbiological sciences (broadly defined)
- Must be an ASM member during the term of the Professorship. All selected applicants will receive a one-year membership as part of their award. Current ASM members will be reimbursed their membership fees for the applicable year.
Preference will be given to:
Applicants who will be able to make maximal use of the course, as demonstrated either by the applicability of the course’s contents to existing programs at the host institution or to the field of research of the visiting Professor.
Applications that demonstrate a commitment to building an ongoing institutional relationship.
It is strongly recommended that the course include a hands-on component, such as a wet lab or other practical activity.