Return to General Overview of the ASM Headquarter's Fellowship Programs
Application Site is Closed
The American Society for Microbiology’s Department of Communications and Marketing Strategy has an opening for an ASM Headquarter's Fellow. The Department provides a variety of communication services for the Society including press relations, public outreach and centralized marketing functions. The fellow will focus on public outreach and increasing member involvement in public outreach.
During the course of 6-month the fellow will:
- increase knowledge of best practices in science communication,
- develop a portfolio of writing samples and public outreach activities for a range of audiences including ASM membership and the public-at-large,
- improve project and people management skills,
- gain leadership and collaboration skills,
- increase knowledge of non-research, science-based career options, and
- develop a network of contacts in informal science education and science communication.
The purpose of ASM HQ Communications Fellowship Program is to provide an intense and multi-faceted training experience for individuals who will have completed a doctoral degree by December 2014 or are currently in post-doctoral degree training and are interested in exploring careers outside the traditional academic environment. The program is intended to advance ones’ knowledge and skills in the area of public outreach and science communications as it applies to furthering the microbiological sciences and the mission of ASM.
The fellowship is for 6-consecutive months and are in residency at the ASM in Washington, DC. It may require some travel. The fellowships offer a $25,000 6-month stipend, medical benefits, and a public transportation subsidy. Start date must be between January - February 2015.
Prospective fellows must:
- be citizens of the United States or U.S. Permanent Residents,
- be a current member of ASM,
- have completed their Ph.D. or postdoctoral fellowship by the start of the ASM fellowship, and
- have a background in microbiology, or related field.
The ASM Fellow must:
- have a Ph.D. in microbiology or a related field,
- provide their CV,
- provide a personal statement,
- provide a list of volunteer experience, and
- provide two letters of reference.
Candidates must have solid scientific credentials as evidenced from publications and presentations. Participation in ASM_sponsored activities is desirable. Applicants should have experience in public outreach. A successful applicant will have demonstrated initiative and leadership by organizing either departmental or volunteer activities.
The ASM (HQ) Communications Fellowship Program cycle is now closed.
Candidates selected for interviews must be available for virtual interviews.
For questions about the ASM HQ Fellowship Program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASM Headquarter's Fellowship in Communications and Marketing
Human Resources Department
American Society for Microbiology
1752 N Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: (202) 737-3600